Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we take a look at the rumors from six months ago and see what went through as originally reported. Let’s get it right!
July 23, 2021
- A source told Ringside News that CM Punk’s return to professional wrestling with AEW is “a done deal” and the only thing left is to personally sign the contract.
- He returned on August 20. Perhaps this was the moment of the year. (1/1)
- Fightful was told that Ring of Honor reached out to Punk in January 2020, and the impression they got was that the storylines and opponents were more important him money.
- It was too short a time for him to go there at this point. Hell, they had to temporarily close the shop at the end of the year.
- Andrew Zarian said that the rock is expected to appear at the hour Survivor Series This year, which is tentatively scheduled to take place at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The idea is to build WrestleMania 38 The main event of The Rock vs. Roman Reigns.
- The rock did not appear. But his egg did. (0/1)
- Wrestling Inc claims that WWE is planning a Queen of the Ring Championship for the main crew this year, and it will air on Peacock.
- They had one (dubbed a “Queen’s Crown”) but it wasn’t exclusively a peacock. The finals were on the peacock because of crown jewel She was on Peacock, but the tournament itself wasn’t exclusive to Peacock. (1/2)
- According to BodySlam.net, the “Hardy” chant took over the Carrion Cross clip at this week’s NXT taping, and so they had to “reshoot the entire clip.”
- Beginning of the End. It wasn’t hard to see that he wouldn’t get a bullet the way they took him out.
July 24, 2021
- Ringside News is now claiming that CM Punk has already signed a contract with AEW as of yesterday morning.
- This is a big moment for AEW.
- On his podcast on Keepin’ It 100, Conan said he asked Tony Khan about Daniel Bryan coming to AEW and Khan played shy with a smile. Conan said he asked because he wanted to use Brian in AAA.
- Another big acquisition for AEW.
- According to the Observer, WWE is interested in bringing Braun Strowman back into the company, “especially after his recent signings with AEW.”
- This did not happen.
- According to PW Insider, Canyon Ceman has reportedly gone from WWE.
- A slow, methodical NXT takedown of Triple H.
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter says that in addition to Impact Wrestling, AEW is interested in signing Buddy Murphy.
- This has not yet been achieved.
26 July 2021
- PW Insider notes that Jeff Hardy was a planner to wrestle Carrion Cross Monday Night Raw This week before he was pulled off the road due to a positive COVID-19 test.
- Both men have already left WWE.
- Speaking of Kroos, Andrew Zarian of the Mat Men Podcast said he was told that WWE had a clear direction for him and that losing to Hardy was just the beginning of it and was leading to something.
- Even if they did, it sure wasn’t done that way. Another L for the “Wait and See” crowd. (0/1)
- Fightful Select says wrestlers were able to opt out of mandatory training at the Performance Center if they had a personal reason, and many wrestlers were not present.
- I wonder if this was the set of mandatory courses that Bayley was injured in. If so, you must have made up a personal reason.
- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter says Andrade was originally supposed to shut down hello anniversary To face Kenny Omega but that failed when Andrade was unable to reconcile with Impact.
- Richard Holliday didn’t finish wrestling in MLW Battle Riot III Because they had shot a corner earlier in the night where he was caught forcefully open and the company wanted to play it safe and send him to the hospital to be checked for concussion.
- Playing safe is always the way to go.
27 July 2021
- Tony Kahn and EVPs at AEW took a private jet to Chicago on Sunday to shoot promotional shots, according to Cassidy Hines of bodyslam.net. It’s not clear what they were filming, but the report mentions plans to turn Chicago into the No. 2 market, “when that doesn’t happen,” fire CM Punk in his hometown, and a future bid of more than 20,000 United Center seats as possibilities.
- He debuted in Chicago at the United Center for frenzy. (1/1)
- Regarding Punk, Haynes says Punk is “100%” for Chicago, but it could be Sept. dynamiteSeptember 3 frenzyor Everyone is outside On September 5th.
- It was August 20. (1/2)
- After the Wrestling Observer indicated that AEW/Punk might lead to WWE’s interest in bringing him back, Ringside News said they were “explicitly told that:” WWE has no interest in dealing with Punk. “
- Those bridges are very burnt out.
- Except for COVID restrictions, Andrew Zarian has heard of Matt Maines from a source that WWE plans to return to Saudi Arabia on October 21.
- This is the situation. (1/1)
- For the first time in several weeks, there were no NXT stars in raw Last night’s dark matches or main event taping, according to PW Insider.
- Perhaps part of the changing landscape.
July 28, 2021
- Becky Lynch won’t be back anytime soon, Ringside News claims. She at least won’t be back before the next draft.
- It was before the draft in summerslam. (0/1)
- Andrew Zarian says WWE will be doing the Queen of the Ring and the October 10th episode is currently scheduled to begin Smackdown.
- There was no episode of Smackdown On October 10, but this is a typo on our part. The original tweet was on October 8 when it first appeared. (2/2)
- According to Fightful Select, Carrion Cross was originally supposed to lose to Jeff Hardy for the second week in a row before plans were changed due to Hardy testing positive for COVID-19.
- Cross already died in the water.
- Bodyslam.net claims that AEW is very concerned about canceling future shows due to potential restrictions related to an increase in COVID cases and they have begun talks about what to do if this happens again.
- This did not happen in the end.
- Some have noted that Drake Maverick has revived his YouTube channel, with PW Insider speculating that he could prepare for his post-WWE future.
- He was finally released… again. It will go unfinished for him in February. Then I wonder where it will appear.
29 July 2021
- Fightful reported that WWE recently laid off employees in departments such as marketing and consumer products. They haven’t heard of any talent being released in this round of budget cuts.
- Nobody is safe.
- The Finals for the upcoming WWE Championship Queen of the Ring is set to take place in Saudi Arabia on October 21, according to Andrew Zarian of Matt Men’s.
- This is accurate. (1/1)
- Two months ago, AEW wrestlers didn’t hear much about the arrival of CM Punk, and even thought the company had been interested in bringing him in since last year, according to Fightful Select. Punk has been a hot topic among talents lately, specifically among those who don’t know him and want to know what he likes to work with.
- It may be a legend for some of these young people.
- when talking about summerslamFor the Raw Women’s Title match, Shawn Ross Sapp of Fightful stated that “a lot of people were expecting it to be Becky.” [Lynch] To come back, but word suggests she might be heading to a different brand.”
- She returned on the side of SmackDown. (1/1)
- Cash Wheeler was cut in the arm when he hit the metal between the clamps and the post during an FTR/Santana & Ortiz match at dynamite last night. PW Insider called it a “totally weird thing” and said it was fine, but it’s not yet clear if he’ll run out of time.
- That was disgusting.
This week: 9/14 – 64%
Total: 4,033/7,123 – 56.6%
Have a wonderful week, everyone!