WBO Euro Danny Dignum Stops Grant ‘Go-Getter’ Dennis Friday!

By Ken Hissner: At York Hall, Bethnal Green, London, UK, Friday Lee Eaton (MTK Global) presented in the Main Event over ESPN+ Friday WBO European Middleweight champion Danny Dignum defended his title, scoring three knockdowns in the sixth for the stoppage over Grant ‘Go- Getter’ Dennis.

In the co-feature, EBU Bantam champ Lee “Lightning” McGregor of Scotland drew with Diego “El Profeta” Alberto Ruiz of Argentina over ten rounds.

In the Main Event WBO European Middleweight champion southpaw Danny Dignum, 14-0-1 (8), #159½, of Bowers Gifford, Essex, UK, scored three knockdowns stopping Grant ‘Go-Getter’ Dennis, 17-4 (3) , #159¾, of Chatham, Kent, UK, at 2:31 of the sixth round of a scheduled ten rounds.

In the first two rounds, Dignum chased Dennis, outworking him. In the third round, a clash of heads caused a cut over the left eye of Dignum.

In the fourth round, Dignum had a cut on the bridge of his nose. In the fifth round, it was close. In the sixth round, at the halfway point, a left uppercut from Dignum on the chin dropped Dennis for a 9-count getting up on unsteady legs.

With a minute left, a left uppercut from Dignum on the chin again dropped Dennis along with cutting his right eyebrow taking the 8-count. Dignum was all over him, dropping him for a third time with a left uppercut on the chin. Upon taking the 8-count referee, Bob Williams asked him to take a step forward and waved it off as Dennis complained to no avail with half a minute left in the round.

In the co-feature Super Bantamweight Lee “Lightning” McGregor, 11-0-1 (9), #121½, of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, drew with Diego “El Profeta” Alberto Ruiz, 23-4-1 (12) , #122¼, of Las Talitas, Tucuman, Argentina, over ten competitive rounds.

In the first two rounds, it was competitive, with McGregor being the aggressor taking the first round with the second razor-thin for him. In the next five rounds, it continued close with McGregor ahead.

In the sixth round, Ruiz became more aggressive, taking the round while McGregor had swelling around his right eye. In the seventh round, McGregor bullied with head down Ruiz into the ropes without a punch. It was a close round in a close fight with McGregor slightly ahead.

In the eighth round, McGregor’s bodywork with uppercuts took the round. In the ninth round, McGregor was warned for using the inside of his gloves. The round was competitive and close. In the tenth and final round, McGregor, with thirty seconds left, rocked Ruiz with a right on the chin. The final punch was landed by Ruiz, a left hook on the chin rocking McGregor.

The score was 95-95 by ref Kieran McCann. This writer scored it 96-94 McGregor.

Super Welterweight southpaw Paul Ryan, 3-0 (2), #155¼, of Dublin, Ireland, stopped CJ “Chris” Wood, 3-2 (2), #157½, of Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, UK, at 2:26 of the first of scheduled six rounds.

In the first round, Ryan hurt Wood, then seconds later followed up with a combination to the body, dropping him forcing the Chas Coakley to call a halt.

Lightweight Jordan Flynn, 4-0 (0), #137¼, of Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK, defeated Marian Marius Istrate, 3-12 (0), #135½, of Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain, over six rounds.

The score by referee Chas Coakley was 59-55.

Light Heavyweight Joe “Gilesy” Giles, 2-0 (0), #170¼, of Wickford, Essex, UK, defeated road traveled Lewis “Poochi” van Poetsch, 9-138-2 (2), #180, of Lydney, Gloucestershire, UK, over four rounds.

In the first round, it took Poetsch, who hasn’t won in three years half a round, to throw a punch, landing it moving forward with hands high, backing up the much taller Giles using a jab. In the 3 round, Poetsch was bleeding a bit from his nose but landed good overhand rights, holding his own. A minute into the fourth and final round, Giles had Poetsch in trouble with a flurry of punches. In the last minute of the fight, Poetsch and Giles mixed it up well.

The score by referee Chas Coakley was 40-36 same as this writer.
Super Welterweight Bilal Fawaz, 1-0 (1), #154½, of Lagos, Nigeria, and London, UK, stopped an overmatched Vladimir Fleischhauer, 1-13 (0), #153½, of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia, at 1 :41 of the third round of a scheduled four rounds

In the first round, it was obvious Fawaz was given an easy opponent coming off a first round stoppage in December. In the second round, Bilal warned for holding Fleischhauer behind the head with his left and landing with his right. In the final minute, Fawaz rocked him with a right on the chin. In the third round’s halfway point, Fawaz landed a dozen unanswered punches causing the referee to call a halt.
Middleweight George “Gorgeous” Mitchell, 3-0 (1), #160, of St. Albans, Hertfordshire, UK, easily defeated Vasif Mamedov, 2-10-2 (0), #160 ¼, of Perm, Russia, over four rounds.

In the first round, the taller Mitchell had his way of boxing well, with both mixing it up in the final seconds. In the third round’s last minute, Mitchell drew blood from Mamedov’s nose.

In the fourth and final round, Mamedov tried using a sometimes effective left hook. Mitchell kept his hands to his side, much easily winning with his double jab.
The score was 40-36, along with this writer.

Leave a Comment